As a mitzvah project for his bar mitzvah, Ayal Weiner-Kaplow made Israel-America flag bead pins and sold them to raise money for Magen David Adom, Israel's Emergency Ambulance Rescue Service. With the help of his family and friends, he raised more than $2,000! You can make your own Israeli-American flag bead pin this summer to show your pride. Sell them and raise money for Israel! Stuff You'll Need:
- Pack of 1.25-inch safety pins
- Pack of 2-inch safety pins
- Packs of red, white and blue Indian Seed Beads, size 10/0 (available at craft stores)
- Needle-nosed pliers
- Large flat blade screwdriver
- An adult to help get you started
Here's How To Do It
- Each flag pin requires 15 1.25-inch safety pins. Open each pin and put beads on according to Pictures 1 and 2.
- As you finish each pin, take the pliers and squeeze the top of the safety pin closed.
- Using the screwdriver, spread and widen the spring on a 2-inch safety pin so that the spiral opens up.
- String the beaded pins onto the 2-inch safety pin by carefully winding them around the open spiral. Use the pattern according to Pictures 1 and 2.
- When all the beaded pins are attached, use the pliers to clamp the spiral shut again.
Thanks to Ayal for this craft and mitzvah project idea!