Behrman House Online Store
History of the Jewish People Vol. 1: Ancient Israel to 1880's America
Presents Jewish history from our earliest ancestors in the Land of Israel to our dispersion in the Diaspora through the Jewish experience in America in the 1880’s.
Finally, a Jewish history book through which students can view their own lives and think about their futures! The History of the Jewish People, Volume 1 was developed and written by two esteemed scholars, Jonathan D. Sarna and Jonathan B. Krasner. This dynamic text (for grades 5-7) is a rich presentation of Jewish history from our earliest ancestors in the Land of Israel to our dispersion in the Diaspora through the Jewish experience in America in the 1880’s. Each chapter helps students consider how their lives compare with the lives of our ancestors, how each generation adapts Judaism to its time and place, and how the decisions of previous generations influence our own lives and decisions.
The History of the Jewish People, Volume 1 brings these times alive through a dynamic array of famous personalities, diverse source material, clear and concise charts, engaging activities, thought-provoking questions, and exciting graphics, including 16 maps and more than 115 full-color historical and contemporary images.
1. The Early Israelites
2. The Age of Hellenism
3. Roman Domination of Judea
4. Rabbinic Judaism
5. Judaism and Christianity
7. Sepharad and Ashkenaz
8. Medieval Europe
9. The Sephardic Diaspora
10. The Polish Kehillah and German Enlightenment
11. Revolution and Emancipation
12. Judaism and the Modern World
13. The Rise of Antisemitism
14. U.S. Jewry, 1820-1890
About the Series:
This is the first book in the two-volume series, The History of the Jewish People. The second volume covers the birth of Zionism to our time.
Special Features: Each chapter includes these special features:
- The Big Picture: Presents an overview and sets the stage for the chapter theme and content
- Investigate: Poses questions for students to explore as they read
- Key Vocabulary: Highlights core words and phrases that are critical to understanding the chapter
- Map: Helps students place the historic period in geographic context
- Famous Figures: Spotlights a famous person from the historic period
- Then and Now: Encourages students to reflect on what they have learned and compare and contrast the chapter's historical period with our own time
A Glossary and detailed Index are available at the back of the book.
A rich presentation of Jewish history from our earliest ancestors in the Land of Israel, to our dispersion in the Diaspora, through the Jewish experience in America in the 1880's.
There are no products in your shopping cart.